Mississippi Attorneys Experienced in Trucking Accident Litigation.
Commercial Trucking Accident Lawyers in Hernando and Batesville Representing Victims' Rights
Semi-trucks and other delivery-type trucks are crucial to the American way of life. As beneficial as they can be in our lives, they can also cause significant damage if someone is negligent. In fact, roadway fatalities involving large trucks increased by 13 percent from 2020 to 2021, and this doesn't account for all the severe injuries also arising from these accidents.
These accidents can cause severe property damage and catastrophic injuries. Consider that:
- A semi-tractor without a trailer can weigh as much as 25,000 pounds.
- A semi-truck with an empty trailer weighs approximately 35,000 pounds.
- An 18-wheeler with a full trailer can weigh up to 40 tons, or 80,000 pounds.
Whereas passenger vehicles weigh an average of 3,000-4,000 pounds, they are no match for these types of trucks. All the weight of semi-trucks makes them more difficult to stop. Stopping them requires more time and stopping distance, which increases the risk of an accident. If they hit another car or object, their immense weight combined with the force of speed can do much damage.
Suppose you or someone you love was recently involved in a truck accident. In that case, it's in your best interest to reach out to an experienced Mississippi truck accident lawyer as soon as possible to help secure your rights. You could be entitled to monetary compensation.
Who is Liable for Your Truck Accident?
Determining liability is one of the most critical steps after a truck accident. After suffering injuries, holding the right people or parties accountable for their actions is the only way to receive financial compensation. Liability in truck accidents can be complex as there are many potentially liable parties, including:
- The truck driver
- The truck driver's employer
- The trucking company
- A third party employed by the trucking company, such as a hiring firm
- Anyone who loaded the truck prior to the accident or the loading company
- Another driver
It can often be a tangled web when it comes to identifying those who might be liable. Sometimes, multiple parties are at fault. When you hire a skilled Mississippi truck accident attorney, they will investigate how your accident happened to determine who is liable. Then they will decide which insurance policies are available to cover your damages.
Causes of Truck Accidents
While truck accidents can be caused by many of the same factors that cause passenger vehicle accidents, some are unique to these big rigs. More specifically, truck accidents can be caused by the following:
- Overloading or improper loading
- Going too fast around curves
- Failing to maintain the vehicle or perform proper routine checks
- Drivers who lack proper or enough training
- Drivers who fail to follow federal standards regarding mandatory rest periods
- Unrealistic time constraints set by trucking companies and carriers
Turn to a Knowledgeable Mississippi Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Injuries and damages arising from a truck accident can be severe and complex. Don't trust your truck accident claim to just anyone. Contact Smith Philips today to discuss your claim with an experienced and knowledgeable Mississippi truck accident lawyer. We can be reached at our Batesville, Mississippi office at (662) 563-4613, our Hernando, Mississippi office at (662) 429-5041, or online.