Mississippi Car Accident Lawyers
Attorneys in Hernando and Batesville Helping Car Crash Victims Recover Compensation
In 2020, Mississippi roads saw 3,630 serious injuries arising from car accidents and 752 fatalities. While this may not seem like many for a state with a population of nearly three million, thousands of lives were impacted by these injuries and fatalities. If you become such a statistic, numbers like this no longer matter. What matters is that you or your loved one likely incurred many financial losses as well as other damages resulting from the car accident. You have the right to pursue compensation for your losses and damages after a car accident. The best way to do this is usually with the help of a Mississippi attorney experienced with car accident litigation.
What Causes Mississippi Car Accidents?
Motor vehicle accidents in this state are caused by many different factors. However, many of them can be traced back to the negligence of other drivers, employers, or even government entities. Common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Whether texting, using a GPS, eating, or looking at what is going on in the backseat with children or pets, distracted driving sets even the best drivers up for an accident. Driving requires your full visual, mental, and physical attention.
- Intoxicated driving: Driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or even over-the-counter or prescription drugs can impair a driver's ability to operate a vehicle safely and react with enough time to prevent an accident.
- Drowsy/fatigued driving: Getting behind the wheel while drowsy can be just as dangerous as drunk driving in some instances. Not being fully rested can impact a driver's decision-making and motor skills.
- Careless/reckless driving: All drivers are responsible for obeying the rules of the road. When they fail to do so, they increase the chance of an accident occurring. Running red lights, weaving in and out of traffic, cutting other drivers off, and other careless actions will eventually catch up to them.
- Mechanical issues: Poor vehicle maintenance, mechanic shops, or even the manufacturer of a car or its part can cause unsafe mechanical issues on the road that lead to accidents.
How a Mississippi Attorney Can Help
If you or someone you love was involved in a motor vehicle accident, a Mississippi attorney could help in many ways. They can:
- Investigate your accident to determine who is liable
- Find applicable insurance policies
- File insurance claims and deal with insurance companies, so you don't have to
- Identify and calculate your damages
- Negotiate a full and fair settlement
- File a lawsuit if a settlement can't be reached
- Represent you in court, if necessary.
Injured in a Car Accident? Talk to a Seasoned Mississippi Car Accident Attorney Today
Don't wait to speak to an attorney if you were recently injured in a car accident. You only have a limited amount of time to file an injury claim under Mississippi laws. Contact Smith Philips today at our Hernando, Mississippi office at (662) 429-5041, at our Batesville, Mississippi office at (662) 563-4613, or online.